Meghalaya monsoon tour is a unique and enchanting experience, as Meghalaya, a state in northeastern India, receives one of the heaviest monsoon rains in the world. The name “Meghalaya” translates to “the abode of clouds,” and during the monsoon season, the state becomes a lush green paradise with cascading waterfalls, pristine rivers, and mist-covered landscapes. Here are some highlights and tips for a memorable Meghalaya monsoon tour:
- Cherrapunjee (Sohra): Cherrapunjee was formerly known as one of the wettest places on Earth and is a must-visit during the monsoon. The Nohkalikai Falls, Mawsmai Cave, and Seven Sisters Falls are popular attractions here. The dense fog and abundant rainfall create a surreal atmosphere.
- Mawlynnong: Known as “Asia’s Cleanest Village,” Mawlynnong is a charming destination with well-maintained gardens and clean streets. Enjoy the serenity of the living root bridges and the Balancing Rock.
- Dawki and Umngot River: Dawki is famous for the crystal-clear waters of the Umngot River, where you can take a boat ride and witness the mesmerizing sight of the riverbed through the transparent water.
- Nongriat Village and Double Decker Living Root Bridge: Trek down to the picturesque village of Nongriat to see the Double Decker Living Root Bridge, an extraordinary example of bioengineering by the local Khasi tribes.
- Shillong: The capital city of Meghalaya offers a blend of modernity and natural beauty. Don’t miss the Ward’s Lake, Shillong Peak, and the Don Bosco Museum.
- Enjoy Local Cuisine: Relish the traditional Khasi, Garo, and Jaintia cuisines, which include dishes like Jadoh (rice and meat), Dohkhlieh (pork salad), and Nakham Bitchi (fermented fish chutney).
Tips for the Monsoon Tour:
- Rain Gear: Be prepared for heavy rainfall by carrying waterproof jackets, umbrellas, and suitable footwear for trekking.
- Road Conditions: The monsoon can affect road conditions in some areas, so it’s advisable to check for travel advisories and plan your route accordingly.
- Photography: Keep your camera equipment protected from the rain. Waterproof bags or covers are essential to safeguard your gear.
- Health and Safety: Stay cautious of slippery surfaces and take precautions against mosquito bites. Stay hydrated and carry necessary medications.
- Respect Local Customs: Meghalaya is home to diverse indigenous communities with unique traditions. Be respectful of their customs and seek permission before photographing people or their property.
- Ecotourism: Meghalaya prides itself on eco-friendly practices. Be responsible and mindful of the environment during your visit.
A monsoon tour of Meghalaya promises a breathtaking experience of nature’s beauty at its finest. Just remember to be well-prepared and open to embracing the magic of the rainy season in this enchanting region.
Up to 0 – 3 Pax Swift Dzire
Up to 4 – 6 Pax Innova
|Shillong||The Eee Cee / Arbour Inn||Orchid Annex/ The Phoenix
|Cherrapunji||Adobe of the Cloud Resort
/ Royal View Resort
|San Neal La Resort /